Modern computer games became very heavyweight these days. Here are the top10 games by size on disk.
- Quantum Break – 178GB.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – 175GB.
- Destiny 2: Shadowkeep – 165GB.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 – 150GB.
- Final Fantasy XV – 148GB.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III – 113GB.
- Gears of War 4 – 112.3GB.
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare – 101GB.
- Middle Earth: Shadow Of War – 95GB
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – 77GB
This is a list of AAA grade games(high-quality graphics and other game assets that weigh more than average). SSD price today is about ~50$-~100$ for 250GB-500GB, so it’s almost clear that one SSD disk can fit one game + OS. For end-user, it’s almost nonsense to have a computer that can handle only one game per time, rather than have a console.
My prediction is that publishers will switch to SSD as carrying storage for games, they will invent a universal proprietary crossplatform cartridge format based on M.2 SATA interface.